Preservation Austin has been our city’s leading nonprofit voice for historic preservation since 1953. Annual programs celebrating our unique cultural and architectural heritage include the Historic Homes Tour and Preservation Merit Awards, with diverse educational events throughout the year. Supported by a passionate board of directors, staff, and hundreds of volunteers, we seek to broaden our message by engaging new constituents throughout our community. Preservation Austin advocates for improved preservation policies and outcomes to make sure that, as it grows, Austin remains the city that we know and love.
Initiatives and Programs
- Year-round programming, including our Historic Homes Tour, children's History Hunt, REALTOR Training, and Greening Your Vintage Home homeowners' workshop.
- Promoting Austin's Local Historic District program and providing guidance and funding to district applicants.
- Saving the historic Castleman-Bull House and presenting it to the City of Austin to be incorporated as a key element of a future Waller Creek development.
- Initiating Heritage Austin, in cooperation with the City of Austin to create a public based vision for the revitalization of Austin's central core.
- Providing grants and loans to individuals or groups to restore buildings of historic significance or architectural importance.
Preservation Austin is a tax-exempt organization with dedicated membership of over 700. Our Board of Directors guides the organization's long-term vision and individual board members chair our various committees. Our staff manages daily operations including policy development and programming.
Preservation Austin funds our important advocacy efforts and educational programming through:
- Annual fundraisers including the Historic Homes Tour and Preservation Merit Awards Celebration
- Membership dues from individuals and businesses
- Individual and business contributions
- Underwriting from special events